Wednesday, June 8, 2016

Contrast, Harmony and Balance


When I think of contrast, I think of city lights.  There is nothing more opposite than the bright lights of the city contrasting with the dark night sky.  This picture shows that very well, not only with the sky, but also with the water surrounding the city. The color is also opposite.  The city lights show a lot of warm color from the orange and yellow glow while the sky and water shows cool colors like blue and black.

This picture also feels balance to me because even though the city is alone in the middle of the picture, the lights reflecting off the water make me feel like city is continuing into the water. That make the picture have more symmetrical balance because of that mirror image.

Gestalt's Law of closure is also something I notice here.  To me, there are not many buildings together but one big city. The Law of Closure says that objects that are grouped together feel like a whole.

This picture is beautiful and it makes me want to sit and look at it forever.  My eyes are very drawn to the architecture and makes me wonder how we as people have developed an amazing skill for building such tall buildings and cities.







No comments:

Post a Comment